Sunday, March 19, 2017
'Murica
To me, the American Dream is the hope of gaining prosperity and freedom. America is not based of a caste system but social class is something that is highly engrained in society and in most parts of the country there is a clear divide. When working towards the American Dream, people are attempting to move up social classes which essentially blurs the line between social groups. It does not matter where you start from, well off in the suburbs, or poor in the slums of a large city, through hard work you have the ability to reach the American Dream. Usually this is done by gaining a high level of secondary education. In America today, it is almost impossible to get a job and be society's view of "successful" without getting a college education. Public education is free to American children through the age of 18. Children are given almost as many freedoms as adults (by the Constitution) and men and women are essentially equal. All of these aspects show how the structure of the American government allows people to reach the American Dream. I think the American Dream developed at the same time that this country did. The British, and other Europeans, who came to the New World, came to make a name for themselves. They heard rumors of farming land and wanted to take the opportunity to prosper in order to improve their lives and the lives of future generations in their family. The same thing happened at the Gold Rush and throughout history.
I define wealth is as how much money one has but it could more broadly be defined as how much of something one has. You can have a wealth of power, a wealth of successful, a wealth of opportunities. Wealth is typically used when speaking of something in a positive manner. Americans want the biggest and best EVERYTHING. This explains why some people chose to buy huge homes, fancy cars, all the latest gadgets. This is even more true in the 1920's than it is today. America was vastly employed and the economy was doing great, this left Americans the question of what to do with their new found money? Well in the Great Gatsby, Gatsby, is a prime example of this person and with his wealth, he decides to make a name for himself. He lives in an extraordinary mansion and through extravagant parties to create buzz over his name. Also in the book, people strive to reach the American Dream and this explains Nick's decision to go into bonds and everyone's desire to move to the east egg. Americans frown upon poverty. They think its something that is below them and often ignore the fact that it even exists in their country. People view them as "freeloaders" off the government and typically blame them for their poverty by claiming that they did not work as hard as the people at the top.
I think it possible to reach any realistic goal that you put your mind to. The realness of each goal can only be defined by the circumstances in each situation. If my "wealth" goal was to be a millionaire by the end of the week, I wouldn't make it. But with careful planning and good decision making it is possible that I am a millionaire by the time that I am 60 years old. It is important to make level headed decisions and always have your idea of your dream in the back of your head. On a different note, happiness is as important to me, if not more important to me than my wealth status. It is possible to be happy when you have very little, but sadly, I am like the majority of Americans when I say that material items are important to me because I know they help determine social class. Therefore it is hard to decide whether wealth or happiness is more pertinent to my definition of the American Dream. Either way, America rocks and I am so glad I live in a country that is so accepting with so many opportunities to move up and to express yourself.
#BornInTheUSA #ProudToBeAnAmerican #LetFreedomRing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment