Sunday, February 19, 2017
IOC Practice
Annotations:
Recording:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B29i4wNsurSDNmlYMlh3djF6SkVpSGJjRGJPd0J3TFlPUHVv
Grading:
Criteria A: Knowledge and Understanding of Text or Extract
I think I would deserve a 3-4 for this criteria. When I listened to my recording, I only cited an exact line once and mentioned quotes only three times. This is not substantial enough to be considered commentary that is "generally supported by references." Though I did provide accurate knowledge on where this passage is pulled from in the text, it is not supported by quotes or evidence and is therefore superficial.
Criteria B: Understanding of the use of literary and effects of literary features
I think I would deserve a 5-6 for this criteria. I discuss three literary features, structure, characterization and specific language. Where I lack is in the explanation of the effect on the reader. I attempted to state this for each feature and I think I was successful on structure and characterization but lacked quality in the specific language explanation. The evidence remained superficial for each and could have been more explicit.
Criteria C: Organization
I would give myself a 3 for this criteria. I based this IOC off the template we were given in class and it was separated into a beginning, body, and end but it lacked in the conclusion of the overall commentary and the commentary of each literary aspect of the extract. The structure is very much coherent but there was not clear division between thoughts. I was also unsure where to include the analysis of the question at the bottom of the page because it did not fit directly into the template.
Criteria D: Langauge
I would also give myself a 3 for this criteria. Aside from the pauses and numerous "umms," there was a lack of extremely clear vocabulary. My sentence structure was not varied and I think what I was saying could have been more thought out, in order to benefit this criteria. I do not believe there were any grammar mistakes but I think my register needs to improve in order to move up grade bands.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRachel:
ReplyDeleteI agree with your self-scoring and feedback for the most part. Here are some suggestions:
you need a purpose statement- the purpose of this passage is to convey a theme of _________, which the author achieves through________, _______, and _________- this is helpful for your organization as well. However, I do think you consider the reader most of the time.
With your purpose statement, keep linking back to it with each "section" or feature you look at.
Additionally, remember that summarizing or paraphrasing is not analyzing (so why that pronoun instead of another?)- make sure you are always thinking about the how, but also the WHY?
You use textual evidence well, but see previous note. You also need MORE.
Some of your explaination might be a bit too "book-club" discussion- keep it tight and focused.
Keep terms, devices, features simple...point of view, tone, setting, conflict, etc.
Delete