Sunday, January 8, 2017

I'm not hyd(e)ing

Part 1: Jekyll vs. Hyde


In the quote from chapter one, Mr. Hyde is described as a man that is indescribable. Author, Stevenson, uses words like "displeasing," "disliked," and "detestable," to clearly display how other characters fell towards Hyde. All of these words have strong negative diction. Although the text does not say that no one likes Hyde, he is described in a way that would make it hard for him to be liked by anyone with any sense. It is hard for the speaker to point out what is so wrong with the man but he knows there is definitely something wrong with him. He is confused as to what it is that disturbs him, bit his disgust outweighs his confusion. Repetition is used in this quote a lot to show that the speaker is so perplexed by the strange man that it has stunned him. This is shown when he says, "He's an extraordinary man, and yet I really can name nothing out of the way. No, sir; I can make no hand of it; I cant describe him" (Stevenson 11). To me, Hyde seems like one of the people that you do not want to look at but you just cannot look away for some reason. 

In the quote from chapter three, Dr. Jekyll is very easily described. There is no confusion about his age, weight, or personality. The easiness of the man's character even allows the speaker to address Jekyll's surroundings by including the line, "sat on the opposite side of the fire" (Stevenson 21). This inclusion also shows that Jekyll is a social being, unlike Hyde. The words used to describe his appearances have positive, welcoming diction. For example, "well-made," "kindness," "sincere," and "warm affection," are all qualities that are found in people that are well liked and accepted in society, similar to how Jekyll is in the book thus far. 

Part 2:

I am Dr. Hyde
I am Mr. Hyde
People love to be around me
People fear when I’m around
I save people for a living, I am a doctor
I kill people, I am a monster
I have lots of friends
I have no friends
I am a large man, easily described
I am a small man, impossible to describe
I am kind and caring
I am unpleasant and ugly
People think they know me
People think they know me
Because they always ask
But they never really ask
No one knows I have a secret
Everyone thinks I am full of secrets




2 comments:

  1. The purpose of the poem is to show the distinct outward differences between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The poem is supposed to make clear the differences of how the two characters are perceived in society. One is an outcast, and one is very much accepted. They reveal their internal thoughts when they say "People think they know me," which alludes to the fact that no one actually knows either of them but for different reasons. The fact that they share this line gives Jekyll and Hyde something in common, without their connection being too obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem and your explaination!
    In your comparison/analysis, be sure you are using specific literary terms/devices to discuss the "how" before jumping into the "so what" (you'll need to do that in your FOA and in Paper 1 & 2)

    ReplyDelete